Image Map

13.7.14

So Long, Farewell

Ramstein it is.

It's dark outside, about 10 PM. The terminal sounds like a tired murmur. Everyone here is Waiting. Men in uniform, families PCSing, people going home after holiday. So here we are.

Air Mobility Command. Basically the military terminal.

This week has been a flurry of goodbyes, hair-pulling frustration, countless anxieties, sleepless nights (hence the lack of posts). I'd rather not repeat this week. As soon as we boarded our shuttle, a weight left my shoulders. It's time to get on with things. Go on to the next thing. Go on an Adventure.


And we were under the weight limit.

The funny thing is, five years ago, DC was our Adventure. I remember loading up our cars and driving across the country, one mile marker at a time. To be honest, I hated DC for a long time. I hated the distance from my family, my friends. The aching loneliness and the feeling of being out of control as change happened all around me. But now. Now DC is Home. So much has happened here. Ben and I were two years married when we moved here. Now we're seven. We grew up here, fought here, learned how to love each other here. Ben went through residency, became an attending. I went to grad school, transitioned to a different career, followed a dream. We made friends. The best of friends. We found a church to worship in, one that taught us to cling to the Rock of Ages. We found places, haunts, we loved...a coffee shop, a favorite town, a yearly beach destination. We bought a house. We brought our son home. And now, we say goodbye. It aches. Thankfully, I'm so tired the ache isn't bad right now. That, and trying to get your six-month-old to sleep in an airport requires a great deal of mental and emotional energy.

Do you see the tiny, dark shape by the left stroller wheel? That's Mac - not sleeping.

Our flight leaves in an hour. We'll land around 1 PM local time at Ramstein Air Base, where we'll stay for a month in a base hotel while we look for a rental home. First up, pass the German driver's license exam. Imagine...no sleep, jet lagged, and 168 German road signs to identify. *Facepalm*

To everyone who made DC home...thank you. We'll be back.

See you on the other side.




Ready for an Adventure.

4 comments :

  1. Amanda, I know it's been forever, but just wanted to say I so enjoy reading your blog, and I'm praying for you and your family as you start this new adventure together! It's great that you can look back and see how the last scary move transformed you and eventually became a place you loved and called home. I pray that the same will be true here, and that the new connections and memories you make will become a wonderful part of your family's story. Praying for peace and comfort through this time of transition! ~Lindsey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lindsey it is so good to hear from you! Your words are such an encouragement during a weird and difficult time. I am so glad we have reconnected...thanks so much for reaching out. Really. Thank you for your prayers. I need them, we need them, and it means a lot. Stay in touch, ok?

      Delete
  2. *Sniff*. I got chills reading about everything you guys have been through in your DC life. In other news, that picture of you and Mac is precious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been quite the ride, right? Thanks btw. I miss you already.

      Delete