Image Map

27.8.14

Yes, I Still Write a Blog

Hello all! Apologies for the super long delay between the last post and this one. Funny thing, when one does not have internet, one cannot post to one's blog. We still don't have internet, but I am wonderfully ensconced in a friend's house (shout out to Leah Starling!) who has fed me lunch (and more importantly, homemade plum tart dessert), granted me access to the internet (aka, Civilization), provided a pack n' play for Mac to sleep in, and turned on American television. *intake of breath* It. Is. Great. I mean, Jimmy Fallon, Jeff Daniels, and Jim Carrey are cracking jokes. 

So here are a few updates, in short-sentence-order. We've moved into our new house and are slowly getting settled. It is a slow process. Ikea and I are spending long hours together, both in and out of store. I've spent many days on reconnaissance missions, trying to figure out what the many primary-colored stores hold inside. I've got a favorite bakery, Barbarossa Brotkultur. I can't decide if I like it more for the ambience, coffee, and fresh pastries or because it is named after a Holy Roman Emperor. Fall is upon Deutschland....it has been downright cold at night. We now have our car, with some damage gifted to us by the shipping company. We have most of our furniture, except the stuff that the moving company lost. We're working on getting internet, consistent hot water, and a washer/dryer combo that does not involve threading a flexible pipe through an open window to obtain dry clothing. There was a full-on drink fest in our village that lasted day and night (mostly night) for three days. Our landlady said she is just now recovering. It was a week and a half ago and she took the entire time off of work. We've made some great new friends (you know who you are) who have supported and encouraged us. I've had several mental breakdowns that have included manic hair-pulling and frantic sobbing and concluded with wine and either an old episode of Community or a walk in the hills. We're going to Scotland tomorrow for five days for some time in Edinburgh and then on to Dufftown for scotch-tasting galore.

The Little Guy just woke up. I'll be blogging as much as I can going forward until we have internet. Stay tuned and don't give up on me.

4 comments :

  1. Good to hear from you, Dax. We expect pictures from Scotia, or, as they say, non fuit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from YOU Gies. Alas, I seem to have missed the window on the Scotia pics, as it is now two plus months later. Will Deutsch pictures suffice? Oh, and thanks for the Latin. Gotta keep me on my toes:)

      Delete
  2. I hope you're having a great time in Scotland! Miss you all xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful (she says two months later). Keep the comments coming! They make my day.

      Delete