Image Map

4.8.14

Reset

I feel as if beginning each post with "life's been crazy, I'm barely keeping my head above water" will eventually wear on you, Dear Reader. And yet, it is true. We moved on Saturday...to our next TLF (Temporary Lodging Facility). From one hotel to another. This hotel is larger, nicer, and a three-story walkup. No elevator. Whomp-whomp. Great for everyday life, not so great when you are hauling six *heavy* suitcases + groceries + various sundries. Ben was heroic and we celebrated his moving prowess with a few episodes of Friends and double cheeseburgers from Burger King. Good news though...I think our furniture will be delivered to our new house tomorrow!!! YAY! Only one more move (it'll be our fourth since June) and we'll be Home. I can't tell you how ready I am to be settled, with my own stuff around me.

I've decided moving is like New Year's but better. New Year's is an annual reset button, full of resolution to be a better version of one's self. Moving to a different country is more of a delete button. Nothing in my life besides Ben, Mac, and our possessions is the same. I've been thinking a lot about this "newness" in life. How we will have to adjust how we live. Living in a village of a thousand people will be a bit different than living in DC. For starters, there's no grocery store nearby, no CVS, no shopping, no restaurants (well, there's the village pub by the pool). No coffee shops (I've been fantasizing about a mocha from Dolcezza every day for a week now). We're building friendships from scratch, we've started going to a new church, we're hopefully going to learn a new language. Simple things like paying a parking ticket (don't ask how I know this) require planning, time, and a lot of effort (mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing and everything is in German). This phase of life feels like a free do-over. The chance to make my daily habits what I want them to be, to live in a way that prioritizes Real Pleasures over easy distractions. And so, here are my priorities, my New Life's resolutions:
  • Pray and read the Word more days than not, even if for just a few minutes
  • Read...daily, by default. I used to read all the time, but now, my phone is my constant companion. I hate this, but I do it anyway. I've started a Goodreads page to spur myself onward. Or is it onwards?
  • Be comfortable in the kitchen and learn to enjoy cooking. I want to experiment with fresh ingredients and be less afraid of failure. I also just want to get better at having a meal on the table most nights. I'd like to see cooking a bit more like Robert Farrar Capon in The Supper of the Lamb: A Culinary Reflection...as an outpouring of God's Creative Goodness.
  • Write, often. In journal and blog. As creative outlet and soul-solace.
  • Be outdoors. Jettenbach (our village) is tucked in between two hills. The higher of the two boasts park benches with views of valleys, villages, steeples, and patchwork fields. I want to sit and think and read and be. There are also hiking trails about 200 meters from our door. And I want to use them.
  • Explore. My village, surrounding villages, surrounding countries.
  • Learn German. I realize I won't be fluent. I may not even been decent at conversational German. But I'm going to learn as much as I can and dedicate time to the process. 
  • Cultivate ritual with Macallan. Reading, prayer, singing. 
There are, of course, other things on my list (learn basic photography, listen to Mars Hill Audio , make the house a home, start a book club). But somehow, the things above are the most important. In my journal (where this list originated), I wrote, "Overall, a focus on Quiet Creativity and Reflection."

I often fall prey to the notion that if I just live in a certain place or house, if I just follow my rules well, then my life will be perfect. I struggle with that here...thinking that this time I'll get It right. Will my life be perfect here? Will I do these things well all the time? Nope. Do I have to resist the urge to turn this list into a List that dictates my life and highlights my failures? Very much so. But I'm very much hoping these goals can be a gentle guide to a life well-lived.

What are your goals? Your Real Pleasures? What does a life well-lived look like for you? I'd love to hear.



6 comments :

  1. Those all sound like wonderful resolutions and definitely a happy way to balance all of life's joys. I'm so enjoying your blog! Keep on writing :)

    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, thank you! Your encouragement and faithful reading/commenting has been such a help. Now...plan your visit!

      Delete
  2. Hmm. Our lists look very similar. I plan on brushing up on my German so we can be well-prepared to visit you all. I would also love to sit on one of those benches with you and have a nice long chat (in English). My list also includes praying and reading the Word more days than not, writing more (and more and more!), and reaching for a book more often than my iphone. I am so glad you are on goodreads! I hope it doesn't put pressure on you. I don't think it will. I find it motivating. I'm glad you have this perspective on your new life ahead. A reset sounds so inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So how is the brush up going? My reset isn't going perfectly by any means. Frustrating sometimes. But each day is a reset, thankfully. Constant progression and all that. Haven't used goodreads much:( I need to master how to utilize all the networking stuff. I'm horrible at it! And there is never enough time in the day, ya know?

      Delete
  3. I love your longing for real and beautiful things. This is mere practice for the zillions of years ahead. Listened to a Keller marriage sermon, and loved his way of speaking of believers having a "world with windows on eternity". Even us at our best, our bestest checked-off lists, pale in comparison to what will be. I'm joining you in the Scripture challenge. Long to do this. And getting outside in the sun. And learning to meditate more and better. And think of my husband and not just myself. And recite God's faithfulness! xoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You always bring me to the "above." Thank you. (I don't think that is actually correct English at all...but it got my point across:)

      Delete