Image Map

25.3.15

Do the Next Thing

Over the years, I've called my mom countless times, often crying about a hurt, a change, a stressor, a husband, a child. Lately, I've cried (I cry a lot, yes) most about feeling isolated, about familial change, about the persistent cold and grey of life and weather. Some days I wake up and just feel drained to my core. I am overwhelmed by loneliness, by the weather, by distance from family and friends, by the difficulties of life, by a teething toddler. The tasks of the day loom until they paralyze me into inactivity. I often feel so overwhelmed by "being a wife," "being a Christian," "being a mom," or, you know, just "being," that I sit and do nothing, because I am so overwhelmed I don't know where to start. My day is a mirror to my life and I'm not quite sure how to handle either. And so, I call my mom. 

Do you know what she often says? Has said over the years?

Do the next thing.

This is wisdom. A few years ago, this wisdom seemed like a slap in the face. I mean, what about my feelings and the fact that life is HARD? Come on, Mom! Have some compassion. I would resist this advice, wallow in my hard life a bit more, do a bit less, and end my day feeling wearier than when I began it. 

This past August, there was a day when I realized that I had changed a little. We had just moved into our new home in our new village in our new country. All our earthly possessions where strewn haphazardly over every available square inch. Mac was, well, a baby. Ben was off to his new job. I didn't know a soul in our new town, barely a soul at all in the whole country. And I felt so overwhelmed. The isolation choked me, the gigantic task of creating a home out of chaos daunted me so greatly that I laid down on the carpet in my bedroom and closed my eyes. I just wanted to avoid thinking about anything. After about five minutes, I sat up suddenly and my thought process went something like this: "Well, this is dumb. Get over it, Amanda. Don't let this beat you. Get dressed, stop wallowing, and get going on the next thing." And it worked. I got up, got dressed, and tackled my day. Not the whole day at once, but one little thing at a time. 

Do the next thing.

I still wallow. I'm quite good at it. But sometimes, at least more often than I used to, I put my big girl panties on, follow my mom's advice, and do the next thing. Change Mac's diaper. Answer emails. Load the dishwasher. Do a German lesson. Plan our next trip. The weight that kept me wallowing slowly lifts. I get distracted from my problems by very practical things. Joy creeps into the mundane. And as I do each next thing, I find that the duties of the day are less daunting, more manageable.  And, oddly enough, those bigger things that keep me up at night, that are a very real weight to my soul? They are less daunting too. 

'til next time.

4 comments :

  1. Love this post. Wise words from your mom, for sure. I've been doing a lot of just the next thing lately. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, friend. Hard to remember I'm not alone, you know? Thinking of you often and praying for stamina and a safe delivery!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Donna Wainwright28/3/15 05:36

    Thanks for bravely sharing your thoughts. Many of us can identify with the struggle against depression. The hardest thing is to admit it to those who love us and reach out for help. I can identify with your sense of loneliness and isolation from family and friends. I will try your suggestion to do the next thing when having a bad day. You are not alone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I was so thrilled to see your comment. Thank you. It is tough being so far from everything that is familiar. I know you understand and hope your days are full of next things and joy!

      Delete